What are your three R’s as a leader?
And I’m not talking about reading, writing, and arithmetic.
I’m talking about Results, Reality, and Roadblocks. (Thanks Taki Moore for this great model.)
Have you wondered what your purpose is as a leader or where you need to be going or how to get there? Then just, really simply, you need to ask yourself three key questions, the three R’s.
The first R, Results.
- What are the results that you want to achieve? Set yourself a time frame, in say the next 12 months.
- How will you know that you’ve achieved those results?
- What will you be doing?
- What will you be feeling?
- What will you be seeing?
- What’s the measure of your result?
- What do you aspire to?
That’s what you’re aiming at. Now that you know what you’re aiming at, let’s look at the second R. That’s Reality.
- What’s going on now?
- How are things right at the moment?
- What are you focused on?
- What are you doing?
- What are you spending time on?
- What’s distracting you?
- What are you actually achieving at the moment?
- What aren’t you achieving?
- What’s left on your to do list?
- How are you performing?
- How are you showing up?
That’s the present.
Now you’ve got your current state and you’ve got your future state.
Let’s look at the third R, Road blocks.
- What’s in the way between your current reality and your future results?
- What are the obstacles?
- What are the concerns?
- What are the things that you need to work over or around or through?
- What are the risks?
Once you know these 3 R’s you can build a plan of how you get from where you are, to where you want to be.
Move from reality through your road blocks to your results. Simple.
Now you’ve got a plan, you’ve got a purpose. Get it done.
First, Lead Yourself.